Ourania Nicolatou-Galitis, DDS, MSc, DrDent
Prof. Nicolatou-Galitis graduated from the Dental School of the National and Kapodistrian University of Athens. She obtained her Master’s Degree and Certificate in Oral Pathology from Temple University, Philadelphia, USA, supported with a scholarship.
- She is founding member and President of the Hellenic Society of Oral Oncology, gr
- She is founding member and member of the Board of the Hellenic Society of Head and Neck Cancer, gr
- She is founding member and member of the Board of the Hellenic Society of Medical Mycology, 2002-2005 and 2005-2008, HSMM.gr
International recognition and honorary positions
Prof Nicolatou-Galitis has been elected as:
- President του International Society of Oral Oncology, org. She will serve as Past-President in June 2017.
During her presidency, among other accomplishments, she highlighted Greece as an important International Center in Oral Oncology.
- Chair of the Bone Study Group, org, Bone Study Group, 2015-2020.
She is responsible for the Osteonecrosis of the Jaw in cancer patients. She has initiated a systematic review to address specific clinical questions for the osteonecrosis of the jaw related to medications.
As an osteonecrosis expert, she was honored to participate in the educational module to the European Oncologists, which is organized by ecancer, a nonprofit global organization.
She has also been honorary invited, by the Association for Dental Education in Europe, to present, August 2017, the lecture:
«Osteonecrosis of the jaw associated with the use of bisphosphonates and denosumab: How to prevent, when to suspect, how to diagnose and what to do»
Prof Nicolatou-Galitis will participate, in the group of European experts for Osteonecrosis of the Jaw in Europe. In the workshop of the Group, September 2017, the definition of osteonecrosis will be discussed, aiming to an update.
Other international positions
- Member of the Strategic Planning of MASCC
- Member of the Steering Committee of the American Society of Clinical Oncology Palliative and Supportive Care in Oncology, 2016, 2017
- Μέλος της Ομάδας των Επιστημονικών Υπευθύνων (Leadership Group) για τη Βλεννογονίτιδα, MASCC/ISOO
- Είναι ενεργό μέλος of the Quality of Life Department, European organization for the Research and Treatment of Cancer, EORTC
- International Registry for Osteonecrosis of the Jaw, Principal Investigator for the Site of the Dental School, University of Athens.
- European Organization for the Research and Treatment of Cancer-EORTC:
- Development of an Οral Ηealth Quality of Life Module (phase I to IV of the EORTC Μodule development.
- Update of the EORTC QLQ-H&N35, Phase I/IV, Head and Neck Quality of Life Questionnaire Module.
- Development of the Symptom Based Questionnaire, Phase I-II
- Development of the Cachexia Module, Phase I-II
Publications in the English literature, related to Oral Oncology
1. Development of the EORTC QLQ-CAX24, A Questionnaire for Cancer Patients with Cachexia. Wheelwright SJ, Hopkinson JB, Darlington AS, Fitzsimmons DF, Fayers P, Balstad TR, Bredart A, Hammerlid E, Kaasa S, Nicolatou-Galitis O, Pinto M, Schmidt H, Solheim TS, Strasser F, Tomaszewska IM, Johnson C. On behalf of the EORTC Quality of Life Group. J Pain Symptom Management 2017; 53:232–242.
2. International field testing of the psychometric properties of an EORTC quality of life module for oral health: the EORTC QLQ-OH15. Hjermstad MJ, Bergenmar M, Bjordal K, Fisher S, Hofmeister D, Montel S, Nicolatou-Galitis O, Pinto M, Raber- Durlacher J, Singer S, Tomaszewska IM, Tomaszewski KA< Verdonck-de Leeuw I, Yarom N, Winstanley JB, Herlofson BB. On behalf of the EORTC QoLife Group. Support Care Cancer 2016; 24:3915–3924.
3. Osteonecrosis of the jaw in a patient with acute myeloid leukemia, who received azacitidine. Nicolatou-Galitis O, Galiti D, Moschogianni M, Sachanas S, Edwards BJ, Migliorati CA, Pangalis G. J Cancer Metasta Treat 2016;2:220-223.
4. Periodontal disease preceding osteonecrosis of the jaw (ONJ) in cancer patients receiving antiresorptives alone or combined with targeted therapies: report of 5 cases and literature review. Nicolatou-Galitis O, Razis E, Galiti D, Galitis E, Labropoulos S, Tsimpidakis A, Sgouros J, Karampeazis A, Migliorati C. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol 2015;120:699-706.
5. Measuring quality of life in patients with head and neck cancer: Update of the EORTC QLQ-H&N Module, Phase III. Singer S, Araujo C, Arraras JI, Baumann I, Boehm A, Herlofson BB, Silva JC, Chie WC, Fisher S, Guntinas-Lichius O, Hammerlid E, Irarrazaval ME, Hjermstad MJ, Jensen K, Kiyota N, Licitra L, Nicolatou-Galitis O, et al. On behalf of the EORTC Quality of LIife and the EORTC Head and Neck Groups. Head & Neck 2015;37:1358-1367.
6. Mucormycosis presenting with dental pain and palatal ulcer in a patient with chronic myelomonocytic leukemia. Report of a case and literature review. Nicolatou-Galitis O, Sachanas S, Drogari-Apiranthitou M, Moschogiannis M, Galiti D, Yiakoumis X, Rontogianni D, Yiotakis I, Petrikkos G, Pangalis G. J Medical Microbiology Case Reports, 2015;2. Doi:10.1099/jmmcr.0.000014.
7. Dental extractions as the major local risk factor of bisphopshonates related jaw osteonecrosis in cancer patients receiving intravenous bsphopshonates therapy. Vardas E, Coward T, Papadopoulou E, Nicolatou-Galitis O. Mediterranean Oncology Journal-MOJ 2014;1:26-33.
8. Stomatitis, gingivitis and periodontal abscess in a patient with metastatic renal cell carcinoma receiving temsirolimus and bevacizumab: A cumulative toxicity? Nicolatou-Galitis O, Koutsoukos KA, Galitis E, Bamias A, Dimopoulos MA. Mediterranean Oncology Journal-MOJ 2014;1:45-49.
9. MASCC/ISOO clinical practice guidelines for the management of mucositis secondary to cancer therapy. Lalla RV, Bowen J, Barasch A, Elting L, Epstein J, Keefe DM, McGuire DB, Migliorati C, Nicolatou-Galitis O, Peterson DE, Raber-Durlacher JE, Sonis ST, Elad S. Cancer 2014;120:1453-1461.
10. International development of an EORTC questionnaire for assessing health-related quality of life in chronic myeloid leukemia patients: the EORTC QLQ-CML24. Efficace F, Baccarani M, Breccia M, Saussele S, Abel G, Caocci G, Guilhot F, Cocks K, Naeem A, Sprangers M, Oerlemans S, Chie W, Castagnetti F, Bombaci F, Sharf G, Cardoni A, Noens L, Pallua S, Salvucci M, Nicolatou-Galitis O, Rosti G, Mandelli F. Qual Life Res 2014;23:825-836.
11. Osteonecrosis of the jaw in a patient with chronic myelogenous leukemia receiving imatinib. A case report with clinical implications. Nicolatou-Galitis O, Razis E, Galiti D, Vardas E, Tzerbos F, Labropoulos S. Forum of Clinical Oncology 2013;4:29-33.
12. Systematic review of anti-inflammatory agents for the management of oral mucositis in cancer patients. For the Mucositis Study Group of the Multinational Association of Supportive Care in Cancer/International Society of Oral Oncology. Nicolatou-Galitis O, Sarri T, Bowen J, Di Palma M, Kouloulias VE< Niscola P, Riesenbeck D, Stokman M, Tissing W, Yeoh E, Elad S, Lalla RV. Support Care Cancer 2013;21:3179-3189.
13. Oral ulcers in patients with advanced breast cancer receiving everolimus: Clinical presentation and management. Nicolatou-Galitis O, Nikolaidi A, Athanassiadis I, Papadopoulou E, Sonis S. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol 2013;116:e110-e116.
14. Performance of the EORTC questionnaire for the assessment of quality of life in head and neck cancer patients EORTC QLQ-H&N35: A methodological review. Singer S, Arraras JI, Chie WC, Fisher SE, Galalae R, Hammerlid E, Nicolatou-Galitis O, Schmaltz C, Verdonck-de Leeuw I, Gamper E, Keszte J, Hofmeister D. Qual Life Research 2013;22:1927-1941.
15. Systematic review of amifostine for the management of oral mucositis in cancer patients. For the Mucositis Study Group of the Multinational Association of Supportive Care in Cancer/International Society of Oral Oncology. Nicolatou-Galitis O, Sarri T, Bowen J, Di Palma M, Kouloulias VE, Niscola P, Riesenbeck D, Stokman M, Tissing W, Yeoh E, Elad S, Lalla RV. Support Care Cancer 2013;21:357-364.
16. Quality of life in patients with head and neck cancer receiving targeted or multimodal therapy-Update of the EORTC QLQ-H&N35, Phase I. Singer S, Arraras JI, Bauman I, Boehm A, Chie WC, Galalae R, Langendijk JA, Guntinas-Lichius O, Hammerlid E, Pinto M, Nicolatou-Galitis O, Schmalz C, Sen M, Sherman AC, Spiegel K, Verdonck-de Leew I, Yarom N, Zotti P, Hofmeister D. Head & Neck 2013;35:1331-1338.
17. Oral ulcers in cancer patients who receive mTOR inhibitors: an emerging oral toxicity. Nicolatou-Galitis O, Bafaloukos D, Manolakis G, Panayiotidis P, Vardas E, Galiti D, Linardou E. Mediterranean Oncology Journal – MOJ 2012;2:45-51.
18. The EORTC QLQ-OH17: A supplementary module to the EORTC QLQ-C30 for assessment of oral health and quality of life in cancer patients. Hjermstad MJ, Bergenmar M, Fisher SE, Montel S, Nicolatou-Galitis O, et al. European J Cancer 2012;48:2203-2211.
19. Gingival bleeding in a patient with cervical cancer receiving bevacizumab. Report of a case. Papadopoulou E, Bafaloukos D, Linardou E, Gatou E, Sarri T, Vardas E, Nicolatou-Galitis O. Mediterranean Oncology Journal MOJ 2012;2:54-56.
20. Which health-related quality of life aspects are important to patients with chronic myeloid leukemia receiving targeted therapies and to health care professionals? GIMEMA and EORTC Quality of Life Group. Efficace F, Breccia M, Saussele S, Kossak-Roth U, Cardoni A, Caocci G, Chie W, Naeem A, Nicolatou-Galitis O, et al. Ann Hematol 2012;91:1371-1381.
21. Jaw osteonecrosis associated with medication: Report of two cases addressing unresolved clinical research questions. Nicolatou-Galitis O, Bafaloukos D, Razis E, Papadopoulou E, Linardou E, Grossi I, Vardas E, Migliorati CA. Mediterranean Oncology Journal MOJ 2012;2:45-51.
22. Gingival bleeding and jaw bone necrosis in patients with metastatic renal cell carcinoma receiving sunitinib: Report of 2 cases with clinical implications. Nicolatou-Galitis O, Migkou M, Psyrri A, Bamias A, Pectasides D, Economopoulos T, Raber-Durlacher JE, Dimitriadis G, Dimopoulos MA. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol 2012;113:234-238.
23. Osteonecrosis of the jaw in oncology patients treated with bisphosphonates: prospective experience of a Dental Oncology referral Center. Nicolatou-Galitis O, Papadopoulou E, Sarri T, Boziari P, Karayianni A, Kyrtsonis MC, Repousis P, Barbounis V, Migliorati CA. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod, 2011, 112:195-202.
24. Oral lichenoid eruption in a patient with chronic myeloid leukemia receiving imatinib. Case report and clinical implications. Nicolatou-Galitis O, Gatou E, Papadopoulou E, Papadaki I, Fisfis M. Mediterranean Oncology Journal MOJ. 2011;1:25-29.
25. Oral mucositis, pain and xerostomia in 135 head and neck cancer patients receiving radiotherapy with or without chemotherapy. Nicolatou-Galitis O, Kouloulias V, Sotiropoulou-Lontou A, Dardoufas K, Polychronopoulou A, Athanassiadou P, Kolitsi G, Kouvaris J. Open Cancer Journal 2011;4:7-17.
26. A systematic review of oral fungal infections in patients receiving cancer therapy. Lalla RV, Latortue MC, Hong CH, Ariyawardana A, D’Amato-Palumbo S, Fischer DJ, Martof A, Nicolatou-Galitis O, et al. Support Care Cancer 2010;18:985-992.
27. Oral mucositis, pain and xerostomia in patients with head and neck cancer who received chemoradiotherapy with or without cetuximab. Nicolatou-Galitis O, Sarri T, Dardoufas K, Kouloulias V, Vakalis X, et al. Open Clinical Cancer Journal 2010;4:6-14.
28. Oral osteonecrosis associated with the use of ibandronic acid: report of case and clinical implications. Migliorati C, Armonis B, Nicolatou-Galitis O. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod, 2008;106:e18-e21.
29. Osteonecrosis of the jaw in a patient treated with ibandronate. Vomvas D, Vassiliou V, Papavasileiou D, Kalogeropoulou C, Nicolatou-Galitis O, Kardamakis D. J BUON 2008;13:441-443.
30. Apoptotic and inflammation markers in oral mucositis in head and neck cancer patients receiving radiotherapy: preliminary report. Xanthinaki A, Nicolatou- Galitis O, Athanassiadou P, Gonidi M, Kouloulias V, Sotiropoulou-Lontou A, Pissakas G, Kyprianou K, Kouvaris J, Patsouris E. Support Care Cancer 2008;16:1025-1033.
31. Effect of fluconazole antifungal prophylaxis on oral mucositis in head and neck cancer patients receiving radiotherapy. Nicolatou-Galitis O, Velegraki A, Sotiropoulou-Lontou A, Dardoufas K, Kouloulias V, Kyprianou K, Kolitsi G, Skarleas C, Pissakas G, Papanicolaou VS, Kouvaris J. Support Care Cancer 2006a; 14:44-51.
32. Herpes simplex virus-1 (HSV-1) infection in radiaton-induced oral mucositis. Nicolatou-Galitis O, Athanassiadou P, Kouloulias V, Sotiropoulou-Lontou A, Dardoufas K, Polychronopoulou A, Gonidi M, Kyprianou K, Kolitsi G, Skarleas C, Pissakas G, Papanicolaou IS, Kouvaris J. Support Care Cancer 2006b;14:753-762.
33. Oral candidiasis in head and neck cancer patients receiving radiotherapy with amifostine cytoprotection. Nicolatou-Galitis O, Sotiropoulou-Lontou A, Velegraki A, Pissakas G, Kolitsi G, Kyrpianou K, Kouloulias V, Papanikolaou I, Yiotakis I, Dardoufas K. Oral Oncology 2003;39:397-401.
34. 766Oral pseudomembranous candidiasis, herpes simplex virus-1 infection, and oral mucositis in head and neck cancer patients receiving radiotherapy and granulocyte-macrophage colony-stimulating factor (GM-CSF) mouthwash. Nicolatou-Galitis O, Dardoufas K, Markoulatos P, Sotiropoulou-Lontou A, Kyrpianou K, Kolitsi G, Pissakas G, Skarleas C, Kouloulias V, Papanicolaou V, Legakis NJ, Velegraki A. J Oral Pathol Med 2001;30:471-480.
35. Gingival overgrowth as initial paraneoplastic manifestation of Hodgkin’s lymphoma in a child. Nicolatou-Galitis O, Papadaki T, Moshovi M, Kamma J, Van Vliet-Konstantinidou C, Tzoumakas K, Kattamis A, Tzortzatou-Stathopoulou F. J Periodontology 2001,72:107-112.
36. The oral manifestations of chronic graft-versus-host disease (cGVHD) in paediatric allogeneic bone marrow transplant recipients. Nicolatou-Galitis O, Kitra V, Constantinidou C, Peristeri J, Goussetis E, Petropoulos D, Grafakos S. J Oral Pathol Med 2001;30:148-153.
37. Oral hairy leukoplakia in a patient with acute lymphocytic leukemia. Nicolatou O, Nikolatos G, Fisfis M, et al. Oral Dis 1999; 5:76-79.
38. A pilot study of the effect of granulocyte-macrophage colony-stimulating factor on oral mucositis in head and neck cancer patients during X-radiation therapy: A preliminary report. Nicolatou O, Sotiropoulou-Lontou A, Skarlatos J, Kyrpianou K, Kolitsi G, Dardoufas K. Int J Radiation Oncology Biol Phys 1998;42:551-556.